A few months ago, good friend Juan Luis Del Carmen called me about an idea to reinvigorate fly fishing in Australia. The idea was to start (even if a small start) a fly fishing get together or festival here in Sydney to bring together like-minded folk in the fly fishing scene and those keen to learn more, expand or share their knowledge.
The first event will be held on the 24th Feb at the Rowers Club on the Nepean River with activities starting at 9am.
We think it’s a great idea and here’s 5 reasons why you should think about attending if you are in the area:
- I, for one, will be attending simply to learn more from those keen to teach. Fly fishing has so much depth so if you are even remotely interested in learning more about fly fishing, be it saltwater fly or freshwater, there will be great opportunities to learn about casting techniques, fly talk, best approach, fly tying and more! The workshops on offer are FREE but if you can spare a gold coin donation to cover insurance and marketing costs, that would be much appreciated.
- If any of you already know Juan, you will know he is one of the most genuine and talented fly casters in Australia. Passion he wears on his sleeve, this man is over-flowing with it and is more than happy to pass on his deep knowledge of fly casting techniques, from beginners through to advanced. Shake the mans hand when you see him and introduce yourself!
- Meet new fly folk, make friends, have a laugh and then join us for dinner and beers after the event at the Rowers Club. If you are thinking of joining for dinner, please ensure you make a booking for the evening.
- Try new fly fishing gear from many different quality fly fishing brands represented in Australia. We’ll have a selection of Xplorer gear there to test the waters with as well as many other great brands helping to support the festival. Take a peak to see what gear we’ll be bringing with us to showcase the best of Xplorer Fly Fishing and Scientific Fly.
- Everyone is there to help. All in one place. We know the fly community is small in Australia so its events like these driven by passionate folk that help keep the fly fishing community strong and growing. We need your support and we’re hoping you will join us.
If you see me, please pop in and say hi. To learn more about the festival, check out the Australia Fly Fishing Festival Facebook page here.